Monday, June 25, 2012

Shapes - Star



Shape Themes
Xander is 19 Months
Theme:  Space
Shape: Star


 We are currently working on shapes, devoting one week to each while also reviewing those already learned.   The themes just add a fun element to the shapes lessons, plus some extra vocabulary. I added a page to gather all of the Shape Posts and Printables to make them easier to find.  For our overall Tot School goals for our shape units, see my Goals post.

For a long time, Xander's favorite shape has been star, so I knew he would like this week.  The shape was star and the theme was space.  We used our shape cards.  We also used some pocket chart phrases from our Star Printables.


Telling me all about the stars.

As usual, I made a tracing page (Cross Printables) and put it in his Dry Erase Activity Center.  He just wanted to color this week.  I keep showing him this type of activity, hoping we can get back into tracing eventually.  I won't force him though.



Coloring his star color page (in the Star Printables).  He has kind of turned it into a "make a line on the shape with the correct color" page instead of actually coloring in the shape.  Part of it is that he is so excited for the next marker.




Playing with the Highway Shape card from Making Learning Fun.




Star and rocket cookie cutters.



Since there are so many great resources for space, I didn't actually make my own Tot Pack.  I did make some just a few Space Printables though.  I made some 3 Part Cards, and actually used them more like true 3 part cards this week.




Matching the picture to the correct card was easy.  He also did ok with matching the word to the picture (without the full card as a template).  He matched about three of the words to the pictures immediately, but needed help with the others.  I am hoping he can match all the words to the correct cards by the end of the second week on this theme.


I found a package of glow in the dark planets and stars to put above his desk.  You can't see the stars all too well in the pictures, but I was really impressed by how well they glowed.  Xander loves pointing out the stars.

Aquadoodling his forehead...


Reading and Math:
   
We are still using Little Reader to work on reading skills (and to make flashcards).  He loved the lesson I made him to go with the Service Vehicle Them (found here) so much, that I made him a space lesson as well.  Now I have trouble getting him to do his normal lessons because he wants to do the ones I made him constantly!

This Week's Books:


  

We also did a lot of space themed work box activities.  I will post those on Wednesday under the new tag of  Brain Building Boxes!  (I also started a linky for tot trays, boxes, busy bags, etc. that I am hoping to do every Wednesday).



If you don't already, I would appreciate it if you would take the time to Like Me on Facebook and Follow Me on Twitter!  Thank you!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...