Monday, July 2, 2012

Shapes: Crescent



Shape Themes
Xander is 19.5 Months
Theme:  Space
Shape: Crescent


 We are currently working on shapes, devoting one week to each while also reviewing those already learned.   The themes just add a fun element to the shapes lessons, plus some extra vocabulary. I added a page to gather all of the Shape Posts and Printables to make them easier to find.  For our overall Tot School goals for our shape units, see my Goals post.

Continuing with our space theme, last week's shape was crescent (moon).  This is the week's shelf set up.  I love having this little table above his desk to put his books on.  The glow in the dark planets and stars are above.


 We used our shape cards.  We also used some pocket chart phrases from our Crescent Printables.

As usual, I made a tracing page (Crescent Printables) and put it in his Dry Erase Activity Center.  Once again, he didn't want my help this week.  Since he can't actually trace on his own yet, this is what he got.


Working on his coloring page.  He has learned to take the tops off himself and we have a couple of incidents with biting the tips of the markers... Xander may have lost his marker privileges for a while.

Playing with the Highway Shape card from Making Learning Fun.

We used some of the figures from his Space Toob to make impressions in the play dough.  We also used the shapes from his shape sorter as cookie cutters.

He still loved his Space Printables this week.  I made some 3 Part Cards, and actually used them more like true 3 part cards this week.  I know he can read at least half of the words, and he can sometimes match up the words and pictures, but usually piles all the words on top of the space shuttle.  I am not sure I understand why, but who knows what goes on in a 19 month old's head.

I found this big floor puzzle at a garage sale and put it together for Xander.  He loved it and wanted me to ask him to point to the sun, earth, or moon.  Then he would tear it all apart and want me to put it back together.  I only put it together for him three times before I called it quits.


We also did a space themed craft.  I had him use a silver stamp pad to make finger print stars on a piece of blue card stock.  Then we glued on some planets we had colored form Sprout Online.


 



Reading   
We are still using Little Reader to work on reading skills (and to make flashcards).  We used his space lesson every day this week.  We also did his Service Vehicle lesson everyday too.  In addition to using the regular Little Reader lessons, I have also started using the program for fast flashing (right brain).  I turn off the pronunciations, videos, and pointer, and click through the categories saying them as fast as I can.  He LOVES it.  In fact, we will do 20-30 sessions that way (some category repeats in there), and he still cries when we stop.



We also did a lot of space themed work box activities.  I will post those on Wednesday under the new tag of  Brain Building Boxes!  I also started a linky for tot trays, boxes, busy bags, etc. that I am hoping to do every Wednesday so please link up!.


Real Life Learning:

We were reading books outside and after we read a book about saws, Grandpa let him cut a piece of scrap wood.

So proud of himself!


Making vanilla ice cream in the garage.

If you don't already, I would appreciate it if you would take the time to Like Me on Facebook and Follow Me on Twitter!  Thank you!


6 comments:

  1. What an awesome blog!! He is doing so much for his age! You seem like an amazing mom! Thanks for sharing with me :) I look forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Totally makes blogging more fun when you can connect with other people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!!!! I think themes and units are the best!!! I like the multiple exposure- I think kids "get" things a lot better that way. Love love love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...